A litany of lawsuits are trying to put the brakes on the controversial congestion pricing plan from the MTA that could cost you at least $15 to drive into Manhattan.
Elected leaders and community groups in Queens are the latest to file lawsuits over environmental concerns over a plan that is meant to curb cars and traffic into Manhattan, while pumping plenty of revenue to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
“Nobody wants this. Nobody outside of misanthropic bureaucrats and a tiny group of activists backed by massively wealthy nonprofits, who wield incredibly disproportionate power over NY policy,” posted New York City Councilwoman Vickie Paladino on Facebook.
The crux of the Queens lawsuit is that a new Environmental Impact Study (EIS) is needed to determine how potentially damaging to neighborhoods in and around Manhattan.
It is the same legal argument made by Staten Island politicians and the United Federation of Teachers, who joined forces to file a federal lawsuit to block congestion pricing by demanding that an EIS takes place before allowing congestion pricing to begin.
“Congestion pricing is a bad policy. Air pollution will get worse. Traffic will get worse. It doesn’t address congestion, it’s a money grab,” said Staten Island Borough President Vito Fossella exclusively to the South Shore Press.
If the MTA succeeds in defending multiple lawsuits, by the spring it will cost you $15 to drive your car into Manhattan, below 60th Street. The MTA can increase that by 10% following the first year. Trucks will be charged $24 to $36, depending on the size of your vehicle.
“It’s $15 now. Just give it time. It will go to $20 and $30,” said Fossella.
Many Long Islanders have been vocal in their opposition to congestion pricing,
"The vast majority of Long Islanders who go to Manhattan use mass transit…and don't contribute to the extreme congestion that causes ambulances, police, fire, and buses to be unable to move,” said Long Island Rail Road acting President Rob Free in a statement.
Count New York Governor Kathy Hochul in the column of those who support the $15 per car tax.
“Congestion pricing means cleaner air, better transit and less gridlock on New York City's streets and today's vote by the MTA Board is a critical step forward. This initiative will make New York City a global leader in transportation policy,” said Hochul in a statement on her website in December of last year when the MTA Board voted to approve the congestion pricing plan.
As for the Staten Island President, he believes congestion pricing gives already struggling New York families another reason to leave the state.
“Congestion pricing is a three strike loser. We are already paying two tolls, for the bridge and tunnel. People who can least afford it will be hurt the most. It's a tax on working commuters. It is one more nail in the coffin. Let’s give people one more reason to leave. People will do the math, ‘enough is enough, I’m out of here,’” concluded Fossella to the South Shore Press.
The MTA will hold four public hearings on their congestion pricing plan at its Manhattan headquarters, 2 Broadway, 20th Floor – William J. Ronan Board Room:
February 29, 2024, at 6:00 PM
March 1, 2024, at 10:00 AM
March 4, 2024, at 10:00 AM
March 4, 2024 at 6:00 PM