Expecting to hear an update from the master developer named by Brookhaven Town to transform the Neighborhood Road business district, members of the Greater Mastic Beach Chamber of Commerce were snubbed for the second month in a row by the failure of a Beechwood representative to attend their regular meeting.
Chamber President Ava Torres said she was “disappointed” that no one showed up to discuss the project with the dozens of business and property owners hoping to learn about timelines for the massive redevelopment and when they can expect offers from Beechwood to buy them out. The organization sent their regrets, Torres reported, saying that the representative they had scheduled to attend, Elysa Goldman, had a death in the family.
“They should have sent someone,” said Dean Denninger, owner of Ultimate Mower, a business in the target area. “Again, Mastic Beach isn't important enough to give us the consideration,” he said adding, “I feel bad that there was a death in somebody's family, but this was scheduled for a while. They don't have another person to give us an insight on how they are progressing?” Business owners said they have been in limbo since the project was first announced in October 2021 and have been unable to make plans about renovating, expanding or refinancing. “What they did was shut us down,” Denninger said. “Nobody is giving us answers, that's the problem. Our hands are tied.”
“There is no new information since the last South Shore Press story,” Beechwood principal Steven Dubb said in a written statement. “Those comments still stand. This includes my point about emailing questions to Elysa Goldman. She responds to every query, has been in direct communication with the Chamber, even last week despite her sad family news, and with Ava who you may wish to also ask for comment. Beechwood looks forward to continuing to meet with members of the community and answering every question."
As reported in the March 8 South Shore Press, Beechwood stated: “This is a large transformative project expected to take several years. It is being coordinated in conjunction with multiple public approval, entitlement and design processes. With great appreciation for the Mastic Beach community support we are receiving for our proposed plan, Beechwood is progressing redevelopment in consultation with all stakeholders, including owners of commercial and residential properties, to create a neighborhood that all can be proud of and enjoy.” (The Press had previously attributed these comments to Beechwood founder and CEO Michael Dubb, when in fact they were provided by his son, Steven).
A pressing issue for the massive development is sewer service, a question that was partially answered last week with an announcement by Suffolk County to allocate $20 million as a first step toward sewering the 47-acre business district. The funding will jump start planning and design work with options including a new treatment facility or connecting to the Forge River Watershed Sewer Project plant in Shirley, according to Deputy County Executive Peter Scully, Suffolk’s designated “Sewer Czar.” The funding, from the American Rescue Plan Act passed by Congress in 2021, sets a deadline of 2026 for the money to be expended, Scully said, noting that connection to the Forge River treatment plant would cost an estimated $32.5 million with the price tag for a new facility serving the new construction probably more. The county also announced $8 million for Phase Three of the Forge River plan to extend sewers deeper into Mastic Beach.
“For years, even decades, we have waited for basic wastewater infrastructure,” said Suffolk Legislator James Mazzarella in announcing the funding. “Today we are turning the tide quite literally, by taking decisive steps forward to advance wastewater projects that will improve water quality, spur downtown revitalization and improve the overall quality of life for the residents of Mastic Beach.”
“We need more concrete information, a timeline, a specific development plan,” said chamber Vice President Matthew Towle. “The property owners need information so they can plan their future. Otherwise, their hands are tied. We’re not against the project, we’re against their lack of communication with the public.” According to Towle, the chamber has prepared a list of questions to present at the next chamber meeting on April 18. “Let’s hope they show up this time.”
“There's more than just the dirt for our businesses,” Denninger continued. “We built our livelihoods here. There is a cost involved that’s more than the property value. We don't want to be uprooted, they have to pay for the investments we have made,” the 20-year business owner said, pointing out that he’s spent $100,000 a year in advertising to build his business. “Taking over what we have built comes with a cost. They better come up with some serious numbers.”
“When do they expect to get this done?” asked another business owner at the chamber meeting who asked to remain anonymous. “This could take years. Are they going to reimburse us for lost opportunities? And what happens in the meantime, the business district turns into Shanty Town? It’s time for them to produce—what’s going to be the formula for setting the buyout offers? Are they going to reimburse the owners for the value of their businesses, return on their investments, relocation costs? Or are they just going to default to condemnation and force us to fight it out in court?”
Brookhaven Councilman Daniel Panico, a champion of the downtown revitalization, did not respond to South Shore Press requests for comment.